Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Thanksgiving

There is nothing like a several day food-fest to make you feel like you're in the worst shape in the world! The work I've put in, the weight I've lost, the fitness level I've achieved? Well yesterday it all seemed non-existent.

I still have a weakness with food. The difference now is that I never let it get out of control to the point where I am going to start going back to the out of shape, depressed guy that sat in front of this computer a year and a half ago.

This past weekened was Thanksgiving, and the week leading up to it was super stressful at work. The ultimate test of my discipline for food? Well if it was, I would have received an "F". I made MANY poor food choices, knowing perfectly well what they would do to me. A lot of people will argue that you shouldn't WORRY about food on holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving and that you should just enjoy the holiday. Those people either have NEVER had an issue with weight, OR they are perpetually overweight, looking for an excuse to let loose.

In any case, I went to bed last night feeling horrible, physically and mentally. This morning is fine though. I know HOW to eat, WHAT to eat and WHEN to eat. This morning I feel better.

REALISTICALLY, because of my activity level and the intensity I workout with, the last week really didn't make much of an impact on me physically, but I could feel how easy it would be to simply "let go" and go back to the way I've eaten in the past. In fact, during certain meals, times and instances last week I WAS back there.

The difference now is that I recognize that and will fight it! Like an alcoholic I truly feel like I will struggle with this forever. It will/has gotten easier, but there are always going to be temptations, and "just one drink" CAN lead to a slippery slope.

So my friends who think I'm obsessive, please know that I would rather be obsessive, fit and ripped than complacent, excuse ridden and overweight.

Keep on keeping on!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great post Robbie. So true in so many ways. So many of us fight that ongoing battle with food. Why does it have such a hold on us?

The good news is we can change. Over time it does get easier. I find I don't over eat and I still enjoy my favorites. It's been a while since I have felt that uncomfortable full feeling. I hate that feeling. I guess it would be the same feeling as an alcoholic getting that nausiated too much alcohol feeling. That feeling that tells you, you are out of control. No fun. Never want that again!