Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Turbo Kick™ in the Park

Turbo soothes the savage beast?
Well I found out this morning that it does. My Wednesday morning class at Fitness One begins at 630am. The gym opens at 600am (usually) so I've never had a problem. But this morning was a little different. Heather and I got off the subway train and turned the corner towards the gym and we saw about 25 people not looking as happy as they should have on a Sunny Wednesday morning, all standing in front of the gym looking very put out.

It looks like somebody slept in this morning. The gyms only has one staff member on duty in the mornings, so the whole gym relies on them being on-time. Well today whoever it was, was far from on-time. I walked into a pretty angry bunch. So for about 5minutes I waited with the group, sympathized with them but quickly realized that nobody was on the way and that there was no point continuing to be upset about something we obviously have no control over.

So instead of letting the anger of the crowd fuel our fire, I let the ladies know that if they would rather get their workout done, and have some fun in the park instead of hanging around a door that may or may not open for the next hour that they were more than welcome to join me in the park!

I had my IPOD Speakers like normal (and I have batteries in them just in case the power goes out at the gym. don't laugh it's happened!)

So about a dozen ladies (a few stayed back to make sure whoever was late knew that they were angry I suppose) came with me and Heather and we busted a move in the park around the corner!

It was FANTASTIC! Its amazing how great a cool breeze, and fresh air feel while we're sweating to Michael Jackson and MC Hammer! ;)

I have two more classes to teach tonight, and I'm sure they will go smoother but I can say with 100% certainty that they won't be as improv or as fresh as this morning!

What a great way to start the day! An Hour in the park!!!

7 comments:

laura1952 said...

Awesome Robbie

It was a beautiful crisp clear morning for sure to do this. I hope you are still feeling Energized.

I am glad you were able to release the angries for those who were willing to let it go.

Life. It is ALWAYS about choices. I am glad you chose to remove these girls from a situation that was clearly starting the day off on the wrong foot.

Instead, they got to punch, kick and jam their way through whomever it was that was late this morning.

Hopefully, whomever was late just slept in and nothing serious was wrong.

Laura

The Duchess of Paso Robles said...

In my town we call that FIELD TRIP!!

Way to go Robbie.

Angela T.

Alice said...

Wow, what a way to turn the moment around. Good for you (and the whole class)!

KUDDOS

Kim Taylor said...

That's one of the coolest things I've ever heard of!!!!!! The picture totally captures the moment! There's no better way to rid frustrations than to TurboKick them away, and I'm not surprised that you were prepared for just that!!! :D

Amanda said...

Awesome!!! :^) You have a lucky group of ladies. They have an instructor who is prepared for EVERYTHING! And not only are you prepared but you're willing to do what ever it takes to give your participants a killah workout!!

Yet one more reason you were a perfect choice as an APD! I know this will make Chalene proud!!

:-)

Amanda

LeslieinSC said...

Way to make a bad sitiation into a new and fun experience. chalene is lucky to have you as a presenter and instructor.

Leslie

HULA77 said...

You are such a HERO, Robbie!!!! WTG on turning a difficult situation into a huge success!!!!

Lis.