Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Bike is Dead.

Some folks have their first dog or a cat, some their favourite running shoes, even their first car. Some thing that holds a special bit of nostalgia. Well for me, I had my bike. "Emma" has been my constant companion for years. I built her from the frame up. I even built the wheels, one spoke at a time. I've put literally 10's of thoushands of miles on her over the past 5 or 6 years.

Well as I was riding her home after teaching class on Friday night I noticed that my seat was loose. This was not uncommon, because I have a really nice saddle on this bike and have been the victim of attempted theft several times while she has been locked up outside. I have a strong cable permanently attached to the saddle (the other end to my frame) to deter would-be thieves.
But sometimes the thief gets the seat loose before noticing that it's secured onto the bike. So I thought THAT was the issue. I WISH.

I got home with my loose seat and notice that the entire frame had broke! The seat tube had literally snapped off! This bike has taken me so many places, over so many miles at both my heaviest weight (and my current weight). She's been a real work horse. But this break is un-fixable. I had to get rid of her now. Emma has been the most wonderful companion and by far my favourite bike ever. But today, she is dead.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rotflol totally agree Heather heheh

Emma will always be remembered...

Cris

Jackie Bull said...

I'm so sad!!!! Robbie will never mount Emma again. Please do not name your next bike Bruce. What will you do with her? Dumpster, recycle barn, what? I just have to know.

Dusk said...

"Mount Emma" LOL!!! Oh that's a good one Jackie!!!

Crap... are we not being sensitive?

Here's a tissue Robbie. Feel better. :)

irish_robbie said...

You guys are funny. I suppose nobody can really know how sad losing this bike truly makes me. I've put more miles on my bike than some people have put on their cars and it was a ride on my bike and the resulting pain in my chest (and everywhere) that sparked me to DO SOMETHING about my fat butt! It just feels like something is missing today.

Unknown said...

Robbie, this post makes me so sad. :( I don't have an object that I am attached to. But it makes me so sad to think that you have this bike you absolutely loved and now it is gone. I am glad she died with you than with a stranger. She was loved.

ellen said...

i think i understand the loss robbie... and i am sorry you don't have your old friend to lean on now.

can you save anyything as an "emma" reminder?

Susan said...

Poor Robbie: Your constant companion has been ripped away from you. That must be so painful! :{ But when you think of it, (It was full of memories of another guy who was not like this guy at all!) Lets take a moment to remember Emma for where she brought you and the hard times you went through to get there! She supported you all through that and helped make you the success you are today. Congratulations on your makeover and thanks Emma for giving us this New Cool Dude who inspires us all with Turbo. Hope to hear your and APD soon. Turbogranny.

Jackie Bull said...

Now, Robbie, you know what hurts you, hurts me. I really do hate that your bike is gone. Chin up, buddy! I can't wait to see the bike you put together with her spare parts (did she check organ donor on her driver's license?) Now get busy putting a new bike together to carry your new self! Rock on, brother...

Renae Moore said...

Robbie...I cannot come close to the humor before me...but Emma is in a better place, bikey heaven and now something even mo bettah has to be in your future! Truly, I am sorry, lots of memories and fun and inspiration to do something about YOU!