Friday, November 17, 2006

A first time for everything!

I just got home from class, and like always it was great! Isabel "Izzy", an absolutely AWESOME gal from Michigan came to check out Turbo in Toronto today! Izzy was certified a few months ago, and like me and so many others, is simply addicted to Turbo! Her form was awesome, as was her enthusiasm! I'm so excited that she came to class!

Now on the flip side. Today was the FIRST class I've ever taught where I was VERY frustrated. Our gym doesn't have a mic, so I have to do class A CAPELLA. Normally its no issue, but sometimes there are gals in class who like to chatter. Now I have no issue with loudness, excitement, and chatter, but when its loud talking, ESPECIALLY when I'm explaining things so the NEW folks won't feel lost, I get really frustrated. Today was EXCEPTIONALLY rough in that respect. I don't want to say "HEY QUIET DOWN", because I beleive that grown ladies should have the common sense and respect to realize that they are being disrespectful to me and to those in the class, whose faces clearly showed the frustration with the noise level.

I hope I don't have to address it in class, because I don't want to take the wind out of anybody's sails, but these girls really need to talk about their days before class or after class, not in the middle of it while class is going on.

Ok venting done. All in all I had a great day!

5 comments:

ellen said...

i know, and sometimes i am part of that group, i felt bad many times.. and shut up.. if you don't want to use heathers quip above, quietly say nothing until the chatter is all that is heard.. and ensuing embarassment will stop "the girls".
your ears are very good, and you know who is talking, a pleasant but direct email for their assistance in class along with this blog as referrence should get your point across.. i know that everyone who comes to class, wants all the others to enjoy it too.:)

i am sorry if i was a contributor in your frustration last night robbie, :( i know the women didn't mean to do that to you, they love you tons.

KellyC said...

Robbie, I don't use a mic either. I feel your frustration!
If I'm going over something before the music starts, once I get their attention, I usually say "I need everyone really quiet and listening during this part, then we can get to the fun part" or something like that.
Thursday night, in fact, I was trying to go over a new move, and 2 at the back were flat out talking.
I stood there staring at them (like Ellen said), and a couple of the ones around them starting shushing them ;)
I smiled and said "Are we ready?" when they turned to look at me, and they laughed and listened.

HULA77 said...

Oooooh that would be frustrating Robbie! I'm sure the majority of the ladies were frustrated too as they want to get their groove on with you. If it happens again I'd definitely say something if I were you. Hopefully though it won't happen again.

Malinda said...

love Ellen's idea and you could say "Hey! if you can talk that well you're not working hard enough!" and toss in a turbo!!! :-)

Unknown said...

I had the same thing happen in one of the classes I go too. I really started to frustrate me. These three ladies showed up to class and just started yacking away. I had never seen them in that class before. They kept it up. Afterwards I was venting my frustrations to the lady who runs the class and she had hardly even noticed. I guess it happens all the time! These women feel that since they paid for it they can talk through it. It is "their" time. Forget about everyone else! Bitches. I was pissed. They never came back either. What do they do, hit various classes and talk?