Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Another WTF moment!

So I taught my class at Dufferin Mall yesterday. I was excited, because according to the manager of my gym, this was a big favour to the gym as they were going to have a huge turn-out for their rennovation completion party. Normally I work my Flight Centre job past 6pm each day (which is why I teach at 730pm each night). But because of the favour, I arranged to leave early (before 5pm) so I could get to Dufferin Mall and get acquainted with the gym before class.

I got there, and found the gym, which is located in the centre of the mall. I don't know if my expectations are too high, but I expected some sort of greeting, but as I arrived nobody so much as said "hi" until I came out and said "Hi I'm Rob the Turbo Kick Instructor!". At that point I got a "Oh hi, the Aerobics room is around the corner".

I was slightly bewildered. I got to the room, which was mostly empty, except for garbage littered throughout the room, chairs scattered and GNC suppliments scattered on a couple of tables. I honestly thought I was in the wrong place.

Since I was by myself, I cleaned the room, moved the chairs, setup my music and hung out in the room. At about 2minutes before class, there was nobody there. I found this really odd, because the whole reason I was there was to help them out of a jam, being that SO MANY people were going to be there, which is why they had to have my class.

7 ladies showed up right at the last minute as well as a couple ladies from my gym (Hanna and Liliane rock!!!). So the class was ultra small, but went GREAT! The ladies were great and did a phenomenal job catching on and I have a feeling that some, if not all of them will pop over to our gym (since they can go for free) in the near future!

I think class went wonderful, and wanted to get feedback from the manager, who had watched much of it from either the doorway, or on the monitor at their front desk. But apparently she left for dinner just as my class left. So my exit was much like my entrance...very lackluster. Like I said, perhaps I have high expectations, but I would have thought at least a "HELLO", "GREAT CLASS" or at the very least "THANKS FOR HELPING US OUT" would have been awesome!

All in all however I think it was great, because I already know that these classes are about the members, not the managers of the gym, or the staff or me. So if the members loved Turbo, which I think they did, that's ALL that matters!!!

This morning I taught my 630am class and it rocked! I walked in to at least 20 posters advertising our Turbo Kick Event this weekend! They are up a little later than would have been ideal, but they are UP and EVERYWHERE!

Class was GREAT today and I am completely wiped from it! I'm eating my face off right now to fuel up for the day (and for class#2 and my P90X workout)!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is great Robbie. Way to focus on the positive. I would have been a little frustrated to not at least get a hello and shown around the place! Sheesh!

KellyC said...

Hmmm I agree that I am never looking for "you're so great, you're so wonderful!" or anything like that . . . but Thanks for helping out really would have been the LEAST of what they could have said!